When was the last time you throw some kebabs on the grill? These grilled salmon kebabs were a hit! I marinated the salmon in preserved lemon, Harissa, lemon juice, dijon mustard and a few more spices.
I wanted something different from just throwing salmon on the grill and kebab form it was. Just as delicious and the Harissa barbecue sauce took it over the top.
When picking out your salmon, make sure not to use the wild variety, you need a nice middle piece that is thick and can be cut up into cubes.
Theses grilled salmon kebabs are paired with a light and refreshing lentil salad. Lentils cooked until tender–not falling apart, we do not want no mushiness going on. They were then tossed with cilantro, parsley, red onions, sherry vinegar and lemon. Salmon and lentils are a great pairing and work well together.
Grilled Salmon Kebabs w/ Harissa BBQ & Lentils
- 1 pound salmon cut in cubes
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1 teaspoon preserved lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 inch squares
Harissa BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup harissa
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/4 cup carrots, small dice
- 1/4 cup celery, small dice
- 1/4 cup red onions, small diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- a few cracks of freshly ground black pepper
- juice of one lime
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
- 1 radish thinly sliced optional
In a bowl combine the salmon, harissa, preserved lemon, lemon juice, granulated garlic, smoked paprika, dijon mustard and honey. Toss until well combined, let marinate for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take two skewers and thread a red bell pepper, salmon, red onion and then repeat. (Using two skewers make it easier to flip and turn) You should have 4-5 salmon cubes per skewer.
In a mixing bowl, toss lentils carrots, celery, onions, garlic, cilantro, parsley, olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt, pepper and lime. Taste for seasonings and place aside.
In a saucepan, combine the Harissa, molasses, brown sugar, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt, smoked paprika and garlic. Bring to simmer and then reduce the heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
Preheat grill to high and brush with oil. Drizzle salmon skewers with a little oil as well. After 5 minutes brush with some of the Harissa bbq and flip. Continue to grill for a total of 8-10 minutes until opaque throughout. Brush with more sauce. Serve with the lentil salad.