I love a good cocktail and love creating, trying out different liqueurs and liquors. I was inspired by all the pears in the grocery store to make a spiced pear old fashioned. A few years ago I was on a kick of learning all the classics. There is nothing like a delicious cocktail after a long day.
This spiced pear old fashioned is delicious. I made a pear syrup with a bunch of different aromatics and then strained it. An old fashioned is typically made from bourbon or rye whiskey, bitters and simple syrup.
Shopping at my local liquor store, I was showed this amazing rye whiskey by Redemption Rye and I feel in love with it! To pair with the lovely spices of cinnamon, clove and cardamon, I brought some cardamon bitters from a great company called Scrappy Bitters.
Spiced Pear Old Fashioned
- 1 tablespoon allspice berries
- 1 cardamon pod
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 pears rough chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 ounces rye whiskey
- 1/4 ounce spiced pear syrup
- a dash of bitters (I used Scrappy's cardamon bitters)
- Toast spices in a pan and then add the pears, water and sugar. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover and let steep. Strain liquid.
- Combine the whiskey and cardamon bitters into a mixing glass and fill with ice. Stir for 10-15 seconds to chill. Strain into glass and enjoy!