Tender braised calamari? Spicy sausage? This is a recipe that contains a handful of things that I love. Seafood, sausage, and potatoes. All these items are simmered in a rich flavorful tomato broth that is seasoned with fennel, onions, garlic, and white wine. Honestly, how can we go wrong here?
I am a big fan of braises, especially since the weather has taken a dive under 50. For this recipe, I seared the sausage, wiped out the pan and continued on with my other ingredients. There was some seafood stock stashed in the freezer that I used, but chicken or vegetable stock would work just fine.
I was afraid the calamari would be tough--yes we have all heard horror stories. But, it was perfect. Add the potatoes in last, we do not want mashed potatoes, but want them to keep their integrity and texture a little bit. As they cook, they soak up the delicious broth and become super tasty. Grab a bottle of wine, a nice baguette and enjoy this yummy dish.
Braised Calamari & Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound spicy sausage (removed from casings and divided into patties)
- 1 small fennel bulb diced (reserve fonds for garnish)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cups white wine
- 1/2 cup seafood stock
- 1 1/2 cups tomato pureed or diced
- 1 pound squid (bodies and tentacles)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large potato diced (reserve in water until ready to use)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add sausage patties and fry on each side for 4 minutes. Remove from skillet and place aside. Whip out any excess fat, leaving behind 1 tablespoon. Add fennel, bell pepper, onions, garlic and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 4 minutes.
- Add white wine, seafood stock, tomato, smoked paprika and worcestershire. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Return sausage to skillet and add squid. Cover skillet with a lid and braised for 20 minutes.
- After 20 mintues, add potatoes, cover, and cook for an aditonal 15 mintues.
- Cook until squid is tender. Taste for seasoning and add lemon juice at end. Sereve with crusty bread and fennel fonds.