Taco Tuesday or taco every day? These shrimp tacos are not your average shrimp tacos. They are braised in beer and spices and topped with a nice crunchy cabbage slaw and chipotle crema! Very tasty are perfect to enjoy with family and friends. Also quick to whip up!
Growing up I was surrounded by seafood, so anything seafood I love! Also, since moving out to Dallas I have developed a love affair for tacos, especially street tacos with all the tasty and flavorful sauces. For the shrimp, I wanted to cut them up into pieces, basically in half. But keeping them whole is totally fine. The great thing about shrimp is that they take no time to cook. For these shrimp tacos, all you need is a light beer, granulated garlic, chili powder, salt, and lime juice.
Make sure when shredding the cabbage you are shredding it finely. You don’t want the cabbage too big and chunky. The chipotle creme is easy to whip up. Just a can of chipotle puree, sour cream, salt, and lime juice.
Pickled red onions worked perfectly for these tacos! You can find my recipe for Spicy Pickled Red Onions by searching the site or clicking on the link!
Cheese is totally optional, but I had some queso fresco lying around that I just crumbled on top!
Beer Braised Shrimp Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined can be cut in half or left whole
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt 1 teaspoon of chipotle creamy 1/2 teaspoon for the shrimp
- juice of one lime
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup beer use your favorite!
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 8 oz sour cream
- 7 oz chipotle puree in a can
- corn or flour tortillas
- a few sprigs of cilantro
- Cotija or queso fresco cheese crumbled
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. In a bowl toss shrimp with granulated garlic, chile powder, salt, and lime juice, and combine well. In a preheated skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and then add the shrimp mixture. Saute for 3-4 minutes and then add the beer. Cook for an additional 4 minutes, place aside,, and keep warm.
- In a bowl place the sour cream, chipotle puree, salt, and lime juice. Stir well until combined.
- Warm your tortillas and then top with shrimp, chipotle mayo, cabbage, cilantro, and cheese it using.