Cherry Dump Cake is a classic dessert that always impresses. What’s great about making this easy treat is how simple it is. You don’t need special baking skills or fancy tools.
All you need is cherry pie filling, yellow cake mix, and melted butter. Just spread the cherry filling in a baking dish, sprinkle cake mix over the fruit, and drizzle with melted butter. The result? A golden, bubbly, and irresistibly tasty dessert that everyone will want seconds of.
Cherry Pie Filling Dump Cake takes the “dump and bake” idea to a new level of deliciousness.
This Cherry Dump Cake recipe is perfect for special occasions, holidays, potlucks, or as a sweet surprise for your loved ones. One more thing which I would love telling you is that it was one of the most served desserts in the hotel where I worked for a long duration of my lifespan and others best served desserts were Fresh Apple Cake, Sopapilla Cheesecake, Lemon Cupcakes.
The mix of flavors and the simple preparation make this Dump Cake with Cherry Pie Filling a real crowd-pleaser.
What Is Known to Be Cherry Dump?
A dump cake is a recipe where you just dump all the ingredients into a baking dish and then bake it. No mixing batter, no cleaning or chopping up anything. Just dump the ingredients, bake, and enjoy! It’s that simple.
Making dump cakes is super easy – it’s one of the simplest desserts! Usually, you only need a few basic ingredients, like fruit filling and cake mix.
The name “dump cake” comes from how it’s made. You just “dump” the ingredients into a baking dish, layering them without any need for mixing or complicated steps.
As the cake bakes, everything blends together, creating a wonderfully gooey and moist dessert. People love dump cakes for being simple, versatile, and letting you whip up a homemade treat with minimal effort.
Overview: How To Make a Cherry Dump Cake?
Here we are simply describing a short and quick recipe of cherry dump cake which is not only quick to bake but also delicious and mouthwatering. Let’s begin the journey of endless joy.
To make this delightful Cherry Dump Cake, start by preheating your oven to 350°F and spraying a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Next, pour in two cans of cherry pie filling, and enhance the flavor with 1/3 cup of maraschino cherry juice and 1 teaspoon of almond extract.
Stir everything together for a smooth layer. Then, evenly sprinkle a yellow cake mix over the filling. The magic touch comes with 3/4 cup of melted salted butter poured generously over the top, saturating as much of the cake mix as possible.
Bake this concoction for 45-50 minutes until it’s golden brown and bubbly. After letting it sit for 15 minutes, serve up this sweet treat, optionally paired with some vanilla ice cream for an extra indulgence. Enjoy the simplicity and deliciousness of this Cherry Dump Cake!
Quick Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
- 9×13 Baking Dish
- Mixing Spoon or Spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Nonstick Spray
- 1/3 cups Maraschino Cherry Juice
- 2 cans Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 3/4 cup Salted Butter
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Use nonstick spray to coat a 9×13 baking dish.
- Pour the cherry pie filling into the baking dish.
- Add the maraschino cherry juice and almond extract. Mix it well to make a smooth layer
- Evenly sprinkle the cake mix over the filling.
- Pour the melted butter all over, covering as much of the cake mix as you can.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes until it's golden brown and bubbly.
- Allow it to sit for 15 minutes.
- Serve it as is or with some vanilla ice cream if you like!
- Drizzle melted butter over any areas of dry cake mix that remain after baking, and return to the oven for a further minute or two if necessary.
- The components should not be stirred. Throw everything into the pan at once.
- The crock pot is another viable option for this. Cook for four hours on low heat or two hours on high heat.
- Many people find that adding pineapple makes it even tangier. Do what makes you happy; for me, it adds too much acidity.
- Black forest dump cakes can be made with a box of chocolate cake mix.
How to Check the Cake Is Done Baking or Not?
When it comes to a recipe for cherry dump cake, the toothpick approach to check baking is not going to work like it does with ordinary cakes.
We tried this toothpick approach with our Fresh Apple Cake but sadly cannot try with this one.
The surface of the dump cake should have a golden hue and have the appearance and texture of a crust; yet, once you break the crust, the cake will be moist because of the fruit.
As a general rule, you should look for the top of the cake to have a dark golden hue.
Allow the cherry dump cake to cool for at least fifteen minutes after removing it from the oven; however, it is best enjoyed either warm or at room temperature. On the other hand, it’s scorching!
Vanilla ice cream is my favorite topping for dump cakes. On top, you can drizzle some chocolate sauce, whipped cream, caramel sauce, powdered sugar, or even chocolate chips (which will melt into a delicious topping!).
What Can Be the Possible Variations?
- Alternate the toppings on the cake mix. I recommend white, lemon, devil’s food, milk chocolate, chocolate fudge, or dark chocolate cake mixes, but you can use any cake mix instead of yellow.
- Discover a new fruit taste to try. Use whatever pie filling you choose instead of this one! Consider this a starting point for your recipe.
- Give it a tropical twist. To take the filling to the next level, try adding diced pineapple.
- Refrain from using maraschino cherry juice. To make the cherry taste explode even more, I add almond extract and maraschino cherry juice. Even without the maraschino cherry juice, the filling will be exactly right; it thickens the flavor and gives it a more cherry dimension.
- Feel free to use almond extract instead. Swap out the almond extract for vanilla, lemon, cherry, or strawberry if you don’t have any on hand or would rather not buy it. Another option is to omit it altogether.
Storing and Further Serving!
- Cool to the Core: The Cherry Dump Cake must be cooled to room temperature before freezing.
- Ensure Proper Wrapping: Make sure the plastic wrap is well secured before covering the cake with two layers. For further security, cover with an additional sheet of aluminum foil.
- Safe for Use in the Freezer: Another option is to keep the leftover cake in a container that is marked as freezer-safe.
- Smart Freeze: You may keep the Cherry Dump Cake’s flavor and freshness for up to three months by freezing it.
- Melt in the Refrigerator: Put the frozen cake in the fridge to thaw overnight so it can be enjoyed at room temperature.
- Choices for Heating: For a taste that tastes just if it was just baked, reheat in a low oven or microwave until warm.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q:1 Can I use other fruit fillings instead of cherry?
A. You may definitely try your hand at making Dump Cakes with several kinds of pie filling, such apple, blueberry, or peach. You can personalize the dessert anyway you like.
Q:2 Can I add other ingredients to enhance the flavor of my canned cherry dump cake?
A. If you want your canned cherry dump cake to taste even better, feel free to add some more ingredients. For an extra crunch, try adding chopped nuts like almonds or walnuts. To give the cake batter a cozy, aromatic touch, sprinkle it with cinnamon or nutmeg.
Q:3 Can we make dump cake ahead of time?
A. Well, not recommended as most people like to consume it warm. But if you still want so just keep in mind not more than one day ago.